Thursday, November 20

Santa Came Early... Well, Sort of.

Two or three nights ago, we started hearing some really strange sounds coming from our attic. Tuesday night, or rather 3:00am Wednesday morning, I climbed into the attic to see what was all the clatter.

Was it Santa Claus? One of his elves? Rudolph?

Since the sound was only audible when the furnace was running, I decided to check it out first (it's the only thing in our attic that could make this sound). During the next cycle, I determined that it was coming from the blower. After reading the owners manual, (left next to the furnace), I read that the blower was a "sealed system" that never would need to be lubricated. However, when I felt around, and saw quite a bit of grease on my hands, I quickly determined that it was no longer sealed. That was the dead give away as to why it sounded like the blower was seizing up at the end of the cycle.

I called the company that installed the furnace when the home was built almost exactly three years ago. They told me that the furnace was still under warranty and that no amount of maintenance could have prevented this problem, HOWEVER, we would have to pay labor costs estimated at $150. We made the appointment for Thursday morning at 9:30am.

I won't rant about the quality of furnace that was installed in our house. But really, it's only THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!

Last night before bed, we kicked the furnace up to 75-degrees and would shut it off when it got there. The blower sounded hideous to say the least. We shut it off at 71-degrees and hoped that the insulation in the house would keep us from freezing until they came this morning.

It was nice and cool this morning in our house. Not as cold as I expected, but too cold for Cheryl—rather her concern for "H." We woke up to A and C on the floor in our bedroom (not an uncommon occurance, even when the furnace is working properly).

As scheduled, the repair was made and it came to $15 less than estimated. My mom called Cheryl today to see if it was fixed yet and how close to estimated it came to. She told her that it was, and it wasn't as bad as expected.

When Cheryl told me that my mom had called, I immediately checked our account balance. Sure enough, my mom had made a small donation to help us recover from our set back.

Thanks mom!!! I guess that Santa did come early... well, sort of.

3 comments:

Keri said...

Yikes. I hope that doesn't happen to us! Glad you got it fixed. Parents are the best...what a blessing!

Cheryl said...

FieldStone owners beware!!!

Lily said...

This has happened to us last spring! I know this happened to Jen Gallacher to. We found out that they have installed the furnaces incorrectly (not supposed to be on their sides). So because it's on it's side the pinion or axle burns a hole in the plate ruining the blower. It's all messed up and fieldstone is a terrible builder that's all I have to say!! Ahh! It's only a matter of time before it happens again too!