Wednesday, March 25

It's the Little Things....

It seems that my blogging is like feast or famine, but right now I'm probably being a little too plentiful but I had to write about what happened this morning. For no particular reason I was having a pity party for myself last night and was just frustrated about a lot of minuscule things. It caused a little dissension between Tyler and I so of course I went to bed angry and did not sleep well. I woke up later than usual and quickly told Annie to go grab a banana while I jumped in the shower and then I'd be down to feed them all breakfast. Annie had no clue of my frustrations from the previous night. After quickly showering, I ran downstairs and saw that breakfast was already placed perfectly on the table. There were three bowls of cereal (with the milk poured in), a yogurt for each of us, a graham cracker for dipping, and drinks poured in mugs. She even gave me the cereal and drink that I prefer because she knew I wasn't a big Fruit Loops fan.
All of the sudden everything I was frustrated with disappeared and my heart melted. What a thoughtful gesture...even if my Corn Flakes were a little soggy. I've heard that the 6-8 years old stage is called the "good girl/good boy" stage and I think there's some truth to that. My sister-in-law stated the other evening that it's because they're preparing for a special event that takes place when they turn eight. The more I've pondered that I totally agree. I've noticed that Annie isn't as loud lately and seems to be internally pondering things more, she's always the one that reminds us to pray and hounds on Cambry if she eats before the prayer, and she's very sensitive to others' around her and quick to cry and defend others. I've noticed these qualities in her friends whom are also this age. I think it's part of their preparation for the special event that will take place on their 8th birthday. Anyways, I'm grateful that Annie was able to turn my mood around this morning. I think that our children are more perceptive to our moods and needs than we realize.

5 comments:

Keri said...

Wow, what a special girl! I hope you're feeling better today. :)

ganelle said...

How totally sweet. I love it when my kids do things (kinda) like that!

Lily said...

That's a sweet post. You are a great lady Cheryl.

Dodi said...

I followed you over here from Ganelle's blog because I see you have an Annie. My oldest daughter is also Annie, and I think you'll agree with me when I say "Everyone should have an Annie."

I love that she took care of breakfast for you - what a caring, heartful little girl.

Best to you!

Jeff and Sheryl Family said...

Okay, that post brought tears to my eyes! I love Annie! Aren't these moments the ones that make motherhood worth it all...Thank you for sharing that story!