Wednesday, March 25

Farwell Grandma Smith 1908-2009

Today my wonderful Grandma Relia Cooley Smith passed away at 101-years-old. I began to think that this day would never come but here it is. She lived such an amazing life and was loved by so many. I can't help but imagine the joyous reunion she's having with family that has already passed on. Especially the reunion with her sweet husband Jay who she lost over 20-years ago, and her daughter Sandy who passed away this year. I'm so thankful for her example in my life and how caring and loving she was to me and everyone around her.



Events and milestones of 1908.
January 1 - 1st time, ball signifying new year dropped at Times Square
January 6 - Relia Cooley Smith was born
January 11 - Grand Canyon National Monument is designated
January 24 - Robert Baden-Powell begins the Boy Scout movement
March 22 - Louis L'Amour, American author born
April 5 - Bette Davis, American actress born
May 10 - Mother's Day is observed for the first time
May 14 - 1st passenger flight in an airplane
June 12 - Lusitania crosses Atlantic in record 4 days 15 hours, New York City
June 24 - Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the United States died
June 30 - Boston's Cy Young's 2nd no-hitter, beats New York Highlanders, 8-0
July 13 - 4th modern Olympic games opens in London
September 16 - Carriage-maker, William Durant, founded General Motors Corp
September 27 - Henry Ford produces his first Model T automobile (sells for $850)
October 14 - The Chicago Cubs win the World Series. They have failed to do so ever since
October 24 - Billy Murray hits the charts with "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"
November 3 - U.S. presidential election, Republican William Howard Taft defeats Democrat William Jennings Bryan
November 6 - Western bandits Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid are supposedly killed in Bolivia
December 31 - Wilbur Wright made a record flight of 2 hours, 20 minutes


Other things to note.
Petroleum production begins in the Middle East
There were 46 states, New Mexico and Arizona were still territories
U.S. population: 88.7 Million
Dow Jones closes at 86.15 on 12/31/08, up 46.6% in one year.

First Class postage stamp: $0.02
Four operating LDS temples, St. George, Logan, Manti and Salt Lake
Joseph F. Smith, president of the LDS Church

5 comments:

The Perkins Fam said...

Cheryl, sorry to hear about your grandma. What amazing things she must have seen in those 101 years. That is truly awesome to live that long. You are in my prayers! (I share her birthday so I know she must have been an amazing woman :) )

Lily said...

Oh my, she lived a long life-what a blessing. I hope you can feel some peace and comfort Cheryl.

Keri said...

Sorry for your loss. Aren't you glad you were able to know and love her?

ganelle said...

Fascinating information about when she was born (the boys loved the baseball stuff!) She lived a long, love-filled life.

Oh, and Dave says "HA HA!" about the candy bars!

Cheryl said...

I'm very happy for my grandmother...I can only hope to live to my 80's...I'm not really mourning...more joyous for her. Ganelle, Tell David he's right about the french toast...it was AMAZING!!! ALso, I know it's sad that Grandma died but talk about a family reunion...wooo hooo!!